Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Tuesday, January 14

Rainy Day Sausage & Vegetable Bake



Some days require an easy meal. It's just that simple. So this past Saturday, after a big breakfast, a morning of cleaning up the house and running errands in the cold drizzle of rain, making dinner was the last thing I wanted to do. Inspired by this recipe, I created a more paleo-friendly sausage and vegetable bake.

You will need:
about 1lb of sausage links of your preference
(I used chicken sausage. Whole Foods is a great source to find sugar-free, quality sausage)
3 small to medium rutabagas
1 large or two small zucchini
3 to 4 carrots 
1 medium onion (red or sweet, your preference)
2 to 3 cloves of roasted garlic
(Raw garlic will work just fine as well. I just love the taste of roasted garlic, and it's so easy to use.)
Optional: 1 to 2 medium sweet potatoes 
3 tsp homemade ranch seasoning
3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
(I have tried this recipe, leaving out the saltines, and this recipe, leaving out the buttermilk)
sea salt & pepper to taste 


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash and cut all vegetables into wedges. I left my zucchini in pretty large circular chunks because they have a higher water content and will cook faster than the root vegetables. Place cut vegetables into a oven safe baking dish. Now, whisk the ranch seasoning into the olive oil and add in the roasted garlic cloves, smashing them up against the side of the bowl to mix in well. Pour 3/4 of the oil and seasoning mixture over the vegetables and stir them around to make sure they are evenly coated. Slice the sausages into three sections each and arrange in the vegetable mixture. Pour or brush remaining oil and seasoning mixture onto sausages and sprinkle the entire thing with salt and pepper. Bake for a total of 50-60 minutes, turning sausages half way through the cooking time. 


And there you have a relatively painless* but healthy dinner option for your rainy Saturday!

xoxo
copyright Hiking in Stilettos

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

*Disclaimer: K really liked this dish, but I honestly had a difficult time eating it. We used to grill these sausages regularly and top with homemade honey mustard.... but that was pre-pregnancy. And even though I've come a long way from my early food aversions and constant nausea {hello weeks 6-20}, I just couldn't stomach the sausages. The vegetables were delicious, but I had to find protein elsewhere that evening. I'm really hoping that I'll be able to stomach this meal after the little guy makes his appearance!

No comments: