Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Thursday, September 30

Breakfast Berry Quinoa


Quinoa is a great gluten-free grain alternative (say that ten times fast) that I have recently added into my diet. For a while I was hesitant to try cooking it, as I had heard that the acidic taste can be overwhelming. Thorough rinsing is a must, so armed with a splatter screen and a bit of water, I decided to take the plunge. (The quinoa is too small to rinse in regular colander.)


I typically use quinoa as a pasta substitute in savory salads with feta, asparagus, balsamic vinegar, and cherry tomatoes, but when I saw this recipe, I decided to try something sweeter. Rich in cinnamon, berries, agave, and walnuts, this dish was the perfect companion for a cup of jo on a cool Saturday morning. Added bonus is that it was also a great pre-trail run breakfast.

I used blueberries and apples in mine since I didn't have any blackberries, and it was a delicious combination. I also substituted almond milk for regular milk and tried raw honey instead of agave. Next time I will try a bit of brown sugar, blackberries, and peaches for one last summer horrah.


What do you think? Will you be trying breakfast quinoa?
xoxo


copyright Hiking in Stilettos

7 comments:

FourJedis said...

Wow, that looks amazing. We eat Quinoa all the time, but I never ever thought to use it with blueberry goodness. Great idea! Costco usually carries really big bags of Quinoa, so it has an extra warm fuzzy in my heart. Thanks for the recipe share!

Ann On and On... said...

I have some in my kitchen...thanks for the yummy suggestion. :D

Blair McLeod said...

never heard of quinoa for breakfast... intrigued. sounds great though!

ag. said...

my mom constantly raves about quinoa but i've never tried it for breakfast...yours looks so delcious!

beccaweber said...

yummmm thanks for the idea!

Tammi Kibler said...

I love breakfast quinoa. It reminds me a bit of cream of wheat from my childhood, but quinoa has so much more nutrition and texture to offer.

Like any good breakfast cereal, quinoa blends well with most fruit and nut combinations but can also be prepared very simply with milk and sweetener.

Leslie said...

I will try it! Just started the Tracy Anderson diet... which is strict, but looks like all of these ingrediants are Tracy approved! Thanks for the addition!