Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Tuesday, February 8

Non-Traditional Biscuits


I don't think I've ever mentioned this before, but husband and I eat what I refer to as a "modified" paleolithic diet. It amounts to "good" grains such as quinoa and brown or black rice a couple times a week, zero flour or refined sugar {we use local honey for sweetener}, limited dairy {cheese a couple times a week, grass-fed butter, but no milk}, and TONS of lean protein and vegetables. {You can read more about the Paleo diet here and here.}

All that being said, I obviously cheat sometimes, especially on the weekends. {Hello, cheddar-dill scones} Lately, however, I've really been making an effort to change my cheating habits. So, instead of making traditional biscuits for Saturday breakfast, we made paleo biscuits. Definitely a hit. The texture is more like a corn muffin and less like a biscuit, but the taste was spot on. Add in the knowledge that these lovelies are healthy alternatives to an otherwise indulgent breakfast, and you've got me hooked.


Mix:
1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
in a small food processor.
Add in 1 tbsp cold grass-fed butter (or coconut oil if you prefer) & pulse
until butter is in small pieces.
In a separate bowl beat 4 eggs (or 6 egg whites) until frothy.
Add the eggs to the flour in the processor & pulse a few times to incorporate.
Transfer to the bowl and mix in about 2 tbl spoons of almond milk*
*You may need a bit more or less depending on the consistency of the batter. It should be somewhat doughy, but these biscuits don't rise, so they will be about the same thickness after baked. I like mine a bit thinner to make the biscuits less dense.
Grease 6-7 muffin cups with coconut oil & place batter into the cups.
Bake at 400 for about 15 minutes.

Add your favorite all natural, sugar free preserves, some high quality turkey sausage & a side of fruit and you've got a delicious breakfast!


Happy biscuiting.
xoxo

copyright Hiking in Stilettos

2 comments:

AsianCajuns (Cath) said...

Lar and I are big quinoa fans. We've recently been trying to cut out most grains from our diets. She's much better about it than me because I don't really cook. Maybe I can convince her to make these - they sound delicious!

wren said...

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I'm inspired to eat more like this a la the homemadegrits series. It's so encouraging to see you can still eat delicious things and even better when you can learn how to make them yourself! please share more when you're not swamped.