Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Wednesday, November 16

Kale & Wild Rice Soup



When the weather turns colder, my sights usually turn towards warm comfort foods such as chili and soups. While this recipe is definitely one of my favorites, I am always on the look out for an unusual soup recipe. This kale and wild rice soup combines some of my favorite flavors, and the Gruyere adds a subtle layer of smokiness to the ham and wild rice. I have made it twice, once with ham and once with chicken, and both are equally delicious. I adapted the recipe below from a soup that mother makes, and it's the perfect blend of creamy and savory, not to mention oh-so comforting on a cold November evening.


{The recipe below includes my adaptations. The original ingredients are included in parentheses}
You will need:
1-2 tbl spoon good quality olive oil
2 ounces of ham, chopped OR cooked chicken breast, chopped
{NOTE: I used three chicken breasts to make the soup a bit more hearty.}
1 onion, chopped
3 small carrots, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 cup uncooked gluten-free wild rice
3 cups organic vegetable broth {or chicken broth}
3 cups water {or 4 cups water & 2 cups broth. I wanted a richer flavor, so I used more broth than water.}
3 cups unsweetened almond milk {or regular whole milk}
2 ounces (1/4 cup) shredded Gruyere cheese
2 ounces shredded parmigiano-rregiano cheese {I omitted this and only used about 1/2 cup Gruyere}
1/2 tsp salt {I omitted when I used the ham}
Black pepper to taste
3-4 cups chopped kale {depending on your taste}


Combine the first 6 ingredients and sauté for ten minutes. Add the uncooked rice and sauté for five min, just until the rice starts to brown {warning: the smell is incredibly warm and delicious}. Add the broth, chopped kale and water, and simmer for approximately 40 minutes until the rice is cooked. Add milk and cook fifteen minutes or until desired consistency. {I simmered mine for almost 45 minutes as we like a thicker consistency, more like a stew.} Add the cheese, salt, pepper, and cook for about five more minutes, just until the cheese is melted.


Enjoy.
xoxo

Copyright Hiking in Stilettos

1 comment:

Liesl said...

I was just talking about Kale with my sister after she put it in some chicken meatball and vegetable soup...it was delish! Must try your recipe too!

Liesl :)